A Complete Guide to Bitcoin Technical Analysis
- QuiverX + PAID Network - November 23, 2020
- Where to buy and sell TON Crystal: coins of legendary Free TON blockage project are available for trade at SIGEN.pro. - November 13, 2020
- Umi Blockchain Ecosystem: Instant Transfers, Smart Contracts And Profitable Staking - October 30, 2020
Latest Price News and Analysis
- Here’s Where a “Bitcoin Bear Whale” Has Put Up a Massive Sell Wallby Cole Petersen on November 21, 2020 at 10:00 pm
Bitcoin’s price action as of late has greatly favored buyers, with the cryptocurrency being caught within the throes of an intense bout of sideways trading just below $19,000 as buyers try to garner enough buy-side pressure to break through this level. The selling pressure here has been intense, but it has yet to catalyze any
- Ethereum Surges 10% Higher As DeFi Rally Continues, ETH2 Inches Closerby Nick Chong on November 21, 2020 at 5:32 am
Ethereum has surged higher in the past 24 hours by nearly 10%, pushing as high as $520 for the first time since 2018. The leading cryptocurrency is currently outpacing Bitcoin on a daily basis, though is still underpacing BTC on a multi-week basis. Analysts think the cryptocurrency will surge even higher in the weeks ahead
- 3 Reasons Why Analysts Think Bitcoin Will Move Higher After Rally to...by Nick Chong on November 21, 2020 at 1:00 am
Bitcoin is exploding higher despite fears that it would see a strong drawdown toward the $14,000-15,000 region. The coin currently trades for $18,800, which is a new year-to-date high and multi-year highs. The coin is up 6% in the past 24 hours as buyers continue to flood in. Here are three reasons why the cryptocurrency
- Ethereum Shatters Critical Resistance as Top Holders Start Accumulatingby Cole Petersen on November 21, 2020 at 12:14 am
Ethereum has seen some incredibly strong price action throughout the past few days and weeks, with buyers taking full control of its price action as they hold it above $500 for an extended period of time. The selling pressure seen here has proven to be quite significant, as its rally has halted in its tracks
- SushiSwap’s SUSHI Continues Ascent, Rallies 10% on $1B in Depositsby Nick Chong on November 20, 2020 at 11:07 pm
SushiSwap has once again taken center stage in the decentralized finance (DeFi) space. The decentralized exchange’s liquidity has seen an exponential explosion over recent days while the SUSHI token itself has gained 200% from the local lows set just weeks ago. SushiSwap has had a bit of a storied history. It was launched as a
- Search Engine Marketing Data Reveals Highest Retail Interest In Bitcoin...by Tony Spilotro on November 20, 2020 at 8:00 pm
Bitcoin is nearly at $20,000 once again and to the surprise of the crypto community, Google Trends search data now still doesn’t anywhere nearly compare to the search interest back then. However, digging deeper into search engine volume using a plethora of search engine marketing tools, there’s a very different “story” to be told. Here
- Bitcoin Approaches Price Discovery, All-Time Highs After Touching $18,800by Tony Spilotro on November 20, 2020 at 4:32 pm
Bitcoin price still continues to climb despite seven solid weeks of positive price momentum. Whether or not the cryptocurrency has already returned to price discovery mode or not, is debatable. But even if it isn’t, this latest push has brought the first-ever cryptocurrency to its final resistance level before setting a new record. When the
- Bitcoin Explodes to New Yearly Highs at $18,700 Amid Wall Street Supportby Nick Chong on November 20, 2020 at 3:40 pm
Bitcoin is exploding higher once again after consolidating under $18,000 for a number of days. The leading cryptocurrency just minutes ago passed $18,700 for the first time since the top of the previous bull market in 2017. The coin is up approximately 6% in the past 24 hours, having bounced back from the local lows
- DeFi Bull Run Continues as Top Coins Gain 10-30% Across the Boardby Nick Chong on November 20, 2020 at 10:00 am
After a strong pullback on Wednesday morning, decentralized finance (DeFi) coins are once again rocketing higher. Top coins pertaining to the space have gained dozens of percent in the past day, becoming the top-performing crypto assets in the top 100 by market capitalization. Bitcoin is basically flat over the past day as it attempts to
- Charted: Litecoin Is Outperforming Major Altcoins, Why Dips Remain...by Aayush Jindal on November 20, 2020 at 7:28 am
Litecoin price is up over 10% and it broke the $80.00 resistance against the US Dollar. LTC is consolidating gains and dips are likely to be limited below $78.00 and $76.50. Litecoin started a strong increase above the $75.00 and $80.00 levels against the US Dollar. The price traded to a new monthly high near
- Bitcoin Price Update for October 2, 2019on December 2, 2019 at 4:58 pm
Below is a recap we did on Bitcoin's performance throughout September 2019. It had its ups and downs and for more details - read all about it in our article!
- Altcoin Market Update for October 2, 2019on December 2, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Our first altcoin market update from October 2019 - here we do a recap of the altcoin performance from our watchlist and discuss where they might head in the near future.
- Bitcoin Price Update for September 25, 2019on November 27, 2019 at 7:47 pm
This is our latest Bitcoin price update from 25tth September 2019 where we take a look at how Bitcoin has been performing in the markets. We also provide our commentary on its state so read more about it here!
- Altcoin Market Update for September 25, 2019on November 27, 2019 at 7:46 pm
In our Altcoin market update, we take a look at what has influenced the altcoins on our watchlist the most in terms of price and market movement, and we analyze where Ether, Monero, Ripple, and others stand at the moment. Take a look!
- Altcoin Market Update for September 18, 2019on November 25, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Our Altcoin market update from 18th September 2019 is up - in it, we take a look at the latest price fluctuations and trends that influenced some of our top altcoin movements.
What is Technical Analysis?
Technical analysis (TA) is a methodology for forecasting future price movements by studying past market data for price and volume, and seeking patterns within that data.
A technical analyst will look for continuing patterns, or trends, which indicate the general direction of price movement. They will also look for repeating patterns, which are used to gauge whether a trend is likely to continue or reverse, and to indicate the point at which a reversal may take place. In addition to visually recognizable patterns, various mathematical models are used to indicate trend reversals or confirm continuing trends. These mathematical ‘indicators’ are often visually represented on charts using an ‘overlay’. Indicators can be used to select entry points for longer term positions determined via fundamental analysis, or for day trading strategies such as swing trading.
Many of these visual and mathematical patterns, which tend to repeat over and over again in various different financial markets, have been identified over the course of centuries. Analysts will seek to identify these patterns forming within current market data in order to find indicators for forecasting, and multiple indicators will usually be combined together to provide buy or sell signals of varying strengths.
A typical chart has been embedded at the top of this page which includes two common indicators – Bollinger bands and moving average lines – and one more interesting and unusual indicator: the phases of the moon. You can modify the chart to look for other indicators by clicking the button which looks like a bar chart with a zig-zag arrow above it.
Does it Work for Bitcoin & Altcoins?
The patterns studied by TA are generally caused by the actions of market participants themselves, rather than any changes to the underlying value of what is being traded (although of course the underlying value changes are ‘priced in’ by the market participants). They represent common psychological traits, the actions of people making decisions based on knowledge which comes into their possession, and so on. As such, these techniques can be applied to most financial markets.
It is generally thought, however, that these techniques do tend to break down in smaller markets with low volume and liquidity.
So it is probably safe to say that if technical analysis works at all, then it should work for Bitcoin. But is also true to say that it will be unreliable for smaller altcoin markets. This is not a hard rule, but a general guide. The most popular altcoins, or coins going through periods of high volume, may prove to be valid exceptions. It is down to the individual trader to make a judgement as to what extent these tools can be trusted for any specific market.
Top Resources for Bitcoin Technical Analysis by Experts
If you are new to this topic then perhaps the best thing that you can do is follow the analysis provided by established experts, both for making more educated investment decisions and for learning how to become a better analyst yourself. You can view some great articles published on news websites in the left hand column of this page, but for more detailed and timely information here are some of the best sources for professional analysts’ opinions on the Bitcoin price:
- XBT Social: For a monthly membership fee this site give you access to a daily analysis by professional traders, email alerts for sudden price movements, exclusive news stories, and access to an ‘exclusive community’ of other traders.
- BullBearAnalytics: A team of professional analysts provide paying members of this site with complete, actionable trade signals for both BTC and altcoins, a daily market update, and a more in-depth weekly report.
- BraveNewCoin Reports: This is a well-known information site which publishes regular reports covering sentiment, fundamental and technical analysis extended across a wide range of altcoin markets as well as BTC.
- TradingView: In addition to providing a range of charting tools you may find useful, TradingView allows its users to share their analysis with others. This is the only source in this section where you an view content for free, but please beware that not all of the authors are professional traders.
Analyst Opinion Summary
The widget you can see below displays the latest opinion of analysts on Investing.com with simple signals of ‘Strong Buy’, ‘Buy’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Sell’ and ‘Strong Sell’. It is automatically set to a 1 minute time Frame which probably won’t be very useful for most traders, but you can change that to display a longer period without leaving the page:
Bitcoin Technical Analysis Software: Charts and Tools
A handy charting tool created by TradingView is provided at the top of this page, and I wholeheartedly recommend you have a play with it if you haven’t already. But of course there are also many other useful charts and tools that you may like to use. Here are some of the best ones:
- Cryptowatch – This site allows you to view price data chart from a range of different exchanges for BTC/USD, BTC/EUR and BTC/CNY. They offer a range of different chart types including Heikin-Ashi, bar, line, mountain or candlestick, and access to a wide range of customizable indicators and overlays. If you create an account you can also connect it to the Bitfinex exchange API and use it as a complete trading platform.
- BTC-E – One of the most popular tools on the traditional financial markets is MetaTrader 4. This exchange allows you to use MT4 for Bitcoin trading.
- Bitcoin Charts – This site has a clean design and is easy to use, and offers a wide range of charts including candlestick, OHLC, closing, median, or typical price, and weighted close. You can view data from pretty much every BTC/fiat exchange with up to four indicators at a time.
- Quandl – If you want to go beyond price and volume data to look at things like the transaction and mining data then this is a great source of information with lots of different charts and the option to export data via API or download as CSV files.
- TradingView – You can see and use the charting tool from TradingView at the top of this page.
- BitcoinChain – An interesting combination of TA charting tools and block explorer for general network stats and transactions, which also pulls order books and latest trades from several top exchanges.
Best Free Sites to Start Learning Technical Analysis
There are loads of great resources available on the internet that you can access for free, to start your journey and learn all about TA. Here is a small selection of the best ones:
- Investopedia: The Basic of Technical Analysis – If you are a complete beginner then this is a great place to start. It will introduce you to the basic principles and terminology that you need to know, as well as some of the most popular chart types and indicators.
- Chart School – This free resource provided by the StockCharts.com website includes a huge amount of information on every aspect of TA.
- InvestTools – There are some really excellent paid courses here, but there are also several free classes which are well worth it for beginners.
- ProBitcoinTrading – Although not specifically related to just TA, this site offers some excellent general trading tips, including a free ebook as well as premium ebooks and consultancy services.