A Complete Guide to Bitcoin Technical Analysis
Warning: md5() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/thefivyh/public_html/cryptorials.io/wp-content/plugins/feedzy-rss-feeds/includes/abstract/feedzy-rss-feeds-admin-abstract.php on line 1133
- How to follow a logical path through selecting the best cloud mining services in 2021? - July 15, 2021
- Staking VS other ways of earning on cryptocurrencies – what makes most sense - June 14, 2021
- Introducing SafeHamsters - May 27, 2021
Latest Price News and Analysis
- Ethereum Price Holds Strong at $1,250: A Strengthening Case for Upsideby Aayush Jindal on December 2, 2022 at 4:55 am
Ethereum spiked above the $1,300 resistance zone against the US Dollar. ETH is correcting gains, but it remains supported near $1,250 and $1,230. Ethereum gained pace for a move above $1,300 before the bears appeared. The price is now trading above $1,250 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break below a major bullish trend line with support near $1,280 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could correct further lower towards the $1,250 and $1,230 […]
- Bitcoin Price Starts Technical Correction, Here’s Key Support To Watchby Aayush Jindal on December 2, 2022 at 3:15 am
Bitcoin price traded above the $17,000 resistance. BTC is correcting gains and might decline towards the $16,650 support zone in the near term. Bitcoin gained pace and cleared the $17,000 and $17,200 resistance levels. The price is trading above $16,650 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break below a major bullish trend line with support near $16,980 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could correct lower towards the $16,650 and $16,500 […]
- MATIC Price Prediction: Bulls Aim Fresh Rally To $1.12by Aayush Jindal on December 1, 2022 at 5:38 am
MATIC price started a fresh increase from the $0.765 support zone. Polygon bulls are now aiming a fresh increase above the $1.00 resistance zone. MATIC price started a decent increase above the $0.90 resistance against the US dollar. The price is trading above $0.90 and the 100 simple moving average (4-hours). There was a break above a key contracting triangle with resistance at $0.850 on the 4-hours chart of the MATIC/USD pair (data source from Kraken). The pair could continue to rise towards […]
- Ethereum Price Gearing For Lift-Off to $1,400, Key Support In Placeby Aayush Jindal on December 1, 2022 at 4:55 am
Ethereum gained pace above the $1,250 resistance zone against the US Dollar. ETH even spiked above $1,300 and is currently correcting gains. Ethereum remained well supported and even cleared the $1,280 resistance zone. The price is now trading above $1,250 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key bullish trend line forming with support near $1,280 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could continue to rise if it stays above the $1,250 and $1,230 […]
- Bitcoin Price Clears $17K, Why Dips Turn Attractive In Short-Termby Aayush Jindal on December 1, 2022 at 3:15 am
Bitcoin price was able to clear the $17,000 resistance. BTC is consolidating gains and might remain supported above the $16,750 level. Bitcoin gained pace and cleared the $16,800 and $17,000 resistance levels. The price is trading above $16,800 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key bullish trend line forming with support near $16,950 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could rise further if it stays above the $16,500 support zone. Bitcoin […]
- XRP Price Prediction: Smashing This Resistance Might Trigger Rallyby Aayush Jindal on November 30, 2022 at 5:47 am
Ripple is showing positive signs above the $0.365 support against the US Dollar. XRP price seems to be eyeing a fresh rally towards the $0.48 level. Ripple is slowly moving higher and trading above $0.35 against the US dollar. The price is now trading above $0.380 and the 100 simple moving average (4-hours). There is a key bullish trend line forming with support near $0.381 on the 4-hours chart of the XRP/USD pair (data source from Kraken). The pair could start a strong increase if it clears […]
- Ethereum Price Offers Trade Opportunities After Recent Bullish Breakoutby Aayush Jindal on November 30, 2022 at 5:00 am
Ethereum managed to clear the $1,230 resistance zone against the US Dollar. ETH tested $1,280 and seems to be forming a strong support near $1,230. Ethereum gained bullish momentum and cleared the $1,230 resistance zone. The price is now trading above $1,230 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a short-term bullish trend line forming with support near $1,230 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could continue to rise if it stays above the $1,230 and […]
- Bitcoin Price Regains Traction, BTC Seems Primed for More Upsidesby Aayush Jindal on November 30, 2022 at 3:10 am
Bitcoin price gained bullish momentum above the $16,500 resistance. BTC could rise further if there is a close above the $17,000 resistance. Bitcoin started a decent increase above the $16,500 and $16,650 resistance levels. The price is trading above $16,500 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break above a major bearish trend line with resistance near $16,450 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could rise further if there is a close above […]
- BNB Leads Gains Among Top Cryptos: Will Binance Coin Continue To Roar?by Alyz on November 29, 2022 at 10:00 pm
BNB is currently trading at $300.082 with a 24-hour trading volume of $1,059,515,334. Despite the general market slump, the coin has been one of the top performers. It currently ranks at the number four position on CoinMarketCap. The coin has a 24-hour low of 289.76 and a 24-hour high of $304.82. The price change in 24 hours is increase of 2.36%. However, this price change does not truly convey the strength of the token in the market. Related Reading: Genesis Bankruptcy by EOY Now At 59% – […]
- Litecoin Price Prediction: Why LTC Could Hit $100 and Outperform Bitcoinby Aayush Jindal on November 29, 2022 at 5:48 am
Litecoin price started a steady increase above the $65 resistance against the US Dollar. LTC is currently rising and might rally further towards the $100 level. Litecoin started a strong increase above the $55 and $65 levels against the US Dollar. The price is now trading above $65 and the 100 simple moving average (4-hours). There is a key bearish trend line forming with resistance near $77.50 on the 4-hours chart of the LTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The price must clear the $77.50 and […]
- Black Friday: All of Our Deals in One Spotby Jeremy Anderberg on November 25, 2022 at 12:05 am
All the best Black Friday deals across our family of online solutions.
- New Patterns: Subscriptions, Link in Bio, Wireframes, and Moreby Jeremy Anderberg on November 18, 2022 at 5:09 pm
The newest additions to our Pattern library include newsletter subscriptions, link in bio designs, and minimalist wireframes.
- Embed a Pocket Casts Player in Seconds With Our New Blockby Ellie (Yael) Rubinstein on November 8, 2022 at 12:59 am
Are you a podcaster or a prolific blogger? You don’t want to miss out on our most recent additions and updates to the WordPress editor.
- Celebrating 200 WordPress.com Websites With Out in Tech!by Jeremy Anderberg on November 7, 2022 at 8:08 am
We recently celebrated 200 websites built with Out in Tech!
- Hot Off the Press: New WordPress.com Themes for October 2022by Jeremy Anderberg on October 19, 2022 at 4:41 pm
Four new WordPress.com themes, with beautiful options for foodie businesses, podcasts, and bloggers.
What is Technical Analysis?
Technical analysis (TA) is a methodology for forecasting future price movements by studying past market data for price and volume, and seeking patterns within that data.
A technical analyst will look for continuing patterns, or trends, which indicate the general direction of price movement. They will also look for repeating patterns, which are used to gauge whether a trend is likely to continue or reverse, and to indicate the point at which a reversal may take place. In addition to visually recognizable patterns, various mathematical models are used to indicate trend reversals or confirm continuing trends. These mathematical ‘indicators’ are often visually represented on charts using an ‘overlay’. Indicators can be used to select entry points for longer term positions determined via fundamental analysis, or for day trading strategies such as swing trading.
Many of these visual and mathematical patterns, which tend to repeat over and over again in various different financial markets, have been identified over the course of centuries. Analysts will seek to identify these patterns forming within current market data in order to find indicators for forecasting, and multiple indicators will usually be combined together to provide buy or sell signals of varying strengths.
A typical chart has been embedded at the top of this page which includes two common indicators – Bollinger bands and moving average lines – and one more interesting and unusual indicator: the phases of the moon. You can modify the chart to look for other indicators by clicking the button which looks like a bar chart with a zig-zag arrow above it.
Does it Work for Bitcoin & Altcoins?
The patterns studied by TA are generally caused by the actions of market participants themselves, rather than any changes to the underlying value of what is being traded (although of course the underlying value changes are ‘priced in’ by the market participants). They represent common psychological traits, the actions of people making decisions based on knowledge which comes into their possession, and so on. As such, these techniques can be applied to most financial markets.
It is generally thought, however, that these techniques do tend to break down in smaller markets with low volume and liquidity.
So it is probably safe to say that if technical analysis works at all, then it should work for Bitcoin. But is also true to say that it will be unreliable for smaller altcoin markets. This is not a hard rule, but a general guide. The most popular altcoins, or coins going through periods of high volume, may prove to be valid exceptions. It is down to the individual trader to make a judgement as to what extent these tools can be trusted for any specific market.
Top Resources for Bitcoin Technical Analysis by Experts
If you are new to this topic then perhaps the best thing that you can do is follow the analysis provided by established experts, both for making more educated investment decisions and for learning how to become a better analyst yourself. You can view some great articles published on news websites in the left hand column of this page, but for more detailed and timely information here are some of the best sources for professional analysts’ opinions on the Bitcoin price:
- XBT Social: For a monthly membership fee this site give you access to a daily analysis by professional traders, email alerts for sudden price movements, exclusive news stories, and access to an ‘exclusive community’ of other traders.
- BullBearAnalytics: A team of professional analysts provide paying members of this site with complete, actionable trade signals for both BTC and altcoins, a daily market update, and a more in-depth weekly report.
- BraveNewCoin Reports: This is a well-known information site which publishes regular reports covering sentiment, fundamental and technical analysis extended across a wide range of altcoin markets as well as BTC.
- TradingView: In addition to providing a range of charting tools you may find useful, TradingView allows its users to share their analysis with others. This is the only source in this section where you an view content for free, but please beware that not all of the authors are professional traders.
Analyst Opinion Summary
The widget you can see below displays the latest opinion of analysts on Investing.com with simple signals of ‘Strong Buy’, ‘Buy’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Sell’ and ‘Strong Sell’. It is automatically set to a 1 minute time Frame which probably won’t be very useful for most traders, but you can change that to display a longer period without leaving the page:
Bitcoin Technical Analysis Software: Charts and Tools
A handy charting tool created by TradingView is provided at the top of this page, and I wholeheartedly recommend you have a play with it if you haven’t already. But of course there are also many other useful charts and tools that you may like to use. Here are some of the best ones:
- Cryptowatch – This site allows you to view price data chart from a range of different exchanges for BTC/USD, BTC/EUR and BTC/CNY. They offer a range of different chart types including Heikin-Ashi, bar, line, mountain or candlestick, and access to a wide range of customizable indicators and overlays. If you create an account you can also connect it to the Bitfinex exchange API and use it as a complete trading platform.
- BTC-E – One of the most popular tools on the traditional financial markets is MetaTrader 4. This exchange allows you to use MT4 for Bitcoin trading.
- Bitcoin Charts – This site has a clean design and is easy to use, and offers a wide range of charts including candlestick, OHLC, closing, median, or typical price, and weighted close. You can view data from pretty much every BTC/fiat exchange with up to four indicators at a time.
- Quandl – If you want to go beyond price and volume data to look at things like the transaction and mining data then this is a great source of information with lots of different charts and the option to export data via API or download as CSV files.
- TradingView – You can see and use the charting tool from TradingView at the top of this page.
- BitcoinChain – An interesting combination of TA charting tools and block explorer for general network stats and transactions, which also pulls order books and latest trades from several top exchanges.
Best Free Sites to Start Learning Technical Analysis
There are loads of great resources available on the internet that you can access for free, to start your journey and learn all about TA. Here is a small selection of the best ones:
- Investopedia: The Basic of Technical Analysis – If you are a complete beginner then this is a great place to start. It will introduce you to the basic principles and terminology that you need to know, as well as some of the most popular chart types and indicators.
- Chart School – This free resource provided by the StockCharts.com website includes a huge amount of information on every aspect of TA.
- InvestTools – There are some really excellent paid courses here, but there are also several free classes which are well worth it for beginners.
- ProBitcoinTrading – Although not specifically related to just TA, this site offers some excellent general trading tips, including a free ebook as well as premium ebooks and consultancy services.