A Complete Guide to Bitcoin Technical Analysis
Warning: md5() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/thefivyh/public_html/cryptorials.io/wp-content/plugins/feedzy-rss-feeds/includes/abstract/feedzy-rss-feeds-admin-abstract.php on line 1133
- How to follow a logical path through selecting the best cloud mining services in 2021? - July 15, 2021
- Staking VS other ways of earning on cryptocurrencies – what makes most sense - June 14, 2021
- Introducing SafeHamsters - May 27, 2021
Latest Price News and Analysis
- ADA, Alonzo, And 200 Smart Frozen Contractsby khalisol on September 28, 2021 at 6:20 am
Amongst the madness in broader crypto, along with Cardano’s substantial volatility, the Alonzo hard fork update for ADA has sought to provide a solution to maintaining its powerhouse status, and continue to dominate the year. This solution, though, has some twists and turns that leave the bulls hopeful and patient. ADA And The Push To The Top Cardano has had an amazing run this year with the new wave of crypto bulls ready to see what ADA will become. Dubbed the “Ethereum killer,” Cardano […]
- TA: Ethereum Tops Near Key Juncture, Why Bulls Could Struggleby Aayush Jindal on September 28, 2021 at 5:08 am
Ethereum failed to clear a major hurdle near $3,165 against the US Dollar. ETH price is declining and it remains at a risk of a move below $2,800. Ethereum started an upside correction above $3,000, but it failed near $3,165. The price is now trading below $3,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key bearish trend line forming with resistance near $3,030 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could extend decline if it breaks the $2,900 support zone […]
- TA: Bitcoin Stuck In Range, What Could Spark Key Reversalby Aayush Jindal on September 28, 2021 at 3:08 am
Bitcoin price failed to clear the $45,000 resistance against the US Dollar. BTC is declining and it remains at a risk of more downsides below $42,000. Bitcoin failed to continue higher above the $44,500 and $45,000 resistance levels. The price is now trading below $43,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key bearish trend line forming with resistance near $43,000 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could continue to move down if it stays […]
- Could A Bitcoin Bull Flag Leave Bears Blindsided?by Tony Spilotro on September 27, 2021 at 8:00 pm
Bitcoin price is at a crossroads, either ready to fall into the troughs of a bear market, or blast off and show the world the bull run has yet to officially end. But which is it? No one truly knows, but a technical pattern and the psychology behind it could reveal the potential outcome ahead of time. Could a potential bull flag forming on daily timeframes confirm, and lead to what is ultimately the checkered flag of the current market cycle? Let’s examine the bullish chart pattern. What Is A […]
- A Successful Blogger on Making the Switchby Donna Cavalier on September 27, 2021 at 2:14 pm
For Kyla Marie Charles, switching to WordPress.com opened up possibilities for her website and brand that she never thought was possible.
- TA: Ethereum Regains Strength, Why $3,200 Is The Key For More Upsidesby Aayush Jindal on September 27, 2021 at 5:08 am
Ethereum started a steady increase above $3,000 against the US Dollar. ETH price must clear the $3,200 to continue higher in the near term. Ethereum started a strong increase from the $2,750 support zone. The price is now trading above $3,000 and near the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break a major declining channel with resistance near $2,925 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair must surpass $3,175 and $3,200 to continue higher in the near term. […]
- TA: Bitcoin Forms Bullish Pattern, Why BTC Could Rally above $45Kby Aayush Jindal on September 27, 2021 at 3:08 am
Bitcoin price stayed above the key $40,750 support zone against the US Dollar. BTC is rising and it could soon rally above the $45,000 resistance. Bitcoin started a recovery wave above the $42,800 and $43,000 resistance levels. The price is now trading above $43,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break above a connecting bearish trend line with resistance near $42,400 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could accelerate higher once it […]
- Why Bitcoin Bears Might Not Get To Buy New Lowsby Tony Spilotro on September 24, 2021 at 9:47 pm
The crypto community is locked in debate over: Is Bitcoin in a bull or bear market? The debate will rage on until either a new high or new low is made. The current price action is bearish, which gives the impression that sellers are in charge. The news cycle, and sentiment doesn’t help the picture for bulls. But there is one “theory” that suggests a lower low won’t be made. Mapping Out From The Bear Market Bottom To The Bull Cycle Top Recently, Elliott Wave International held an Open […]
- TA: Ethereum Lacking Bullish Momentum, Why ETH Holders Are Safeby Aayush Jindal on September 24, 2021 at 5:08 am
Ethereum started a steady increase above $3,050 against the US Dollar. ETH price could correct lower, but the bulls might remain active near $3,000 and $2,950. Ethereum extended its increase above the $3,100 and $3,150 levels. The price is now trading near $3,100 and near the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break below a key bullish trend line with support near $3,150 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could correct lower towards $3,000 or even $2,950 […]
- TA: Bitcoin Revisits $45K, Why Dips Turn Attractive In Short-termby Aayush Jindal on September 24, 2021 at 3:08 am
Bitcoin price extended its increase above the $44,000 level against the US Dollar. BTC traded close to $45,000 and it might correct lower in the short-term. Bitcoin started a recovery wave above the $43,000 and $43,000 resistance levels. The price is now trading above $44,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key rising channel forming with support near $44,250 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could correct lower towards the $43,500 […]
- Bitcoin Futures Bull Div Could Offer Crystal Ball Into Next Leg Upby Tony Spilotro on September 23, 2021 at 5:45 pm
The Chicago Mercantile Exchange more commonly referred to as CME, offers the de-facto futures contracts for Bitcoin since the end of the last bull market. But could the forward-looking price action also offer a potential glimpse into the future of what’s to come? If this crystal ball works, the last leg up could be about to begin, and it could start with a simple bullish divergence. Seeing Into Bitcoin’s Future With CME CME is the top BTC futures exchange for institutional traders, and […]
- Expanded Button Formatting, New Spacing Controls, and Drag-and-Drop for...by Seth McLellan on August 31, 2021 at 3:08 pm
This month, our team released features in the block editor that give your site a little breathing room: spacing controls for buttons and paragraphs. And the List View tool keeps getting better with drag-and-drop. Powerful Expanded Button Formatting Buttons never looked so good with custom padding. Padding is empty space …
- Meet the Customers We’re Featuring at the WordPress.com Growth Summitby Jeff Rozic on August 16, 2021 at 6:36 pm
We are proud to feature Jessica Petrie of Yoga Next Door, HBCU Gameday, and other inspiring customers at the second Official WordPress.com Growth Summit, on Tuesday, August 17.
- Faster, More Flexible Editing of Your Sidebars, Headers, and Footers:...by Seth McLellan on August 10, 2021 at 5:58 pm
Great news: the block editor you’re familiar with in pages and posts is now part of the widgets editor.
- 5 Ways to Get Started On Your Side Hustleby Semiha Kocer on August 3, 2021 at 1:13 pm
We’re committed to helping you create a professional online presence with WordPress.com, and we’re launching a three-month free trial with Professional Email to get you started. Professional Email is an industry-leading email service from our partner Titan that’s powerful and easy to set up. Professional Email helps you build your brand online with a custom email address at your domain.
What is Technical Analysis?
Technical analysis (TA) is a methodology for forecasting future price movements by studying past market data for price and volume, and seeking patterns within that data.
A technical analyst will look for continuing patterns, or trends, which indicate the general direction of price movement. They will also look for repeating patterns, which are used to gauge whether a trend is likely to continue or reverse, and to indicate the point at which a reversal may take place. In addition to visually recognizable patterns, various mathematical models are used to indicate trend reversals or confirm continuing trends. These mathematical ‘indicators’ are often visually represented on charts using an ‘overlay’. Indicators can be used to select entry points for longer term positions determined via fundamental analysis, or for day trading strategies such as swing trading.
Many of these visual and mathematical patterns, which tend to repeat over and over again in various different financial markets, have been identified over the course of centuries. Analysts will seek to identify these patterns forming within current market data in order to find indicators for forecasting, and multiple indicators will usually be combined together to provide buy or sell signals of varying strengths.
A typical chart has been embedded at the top of this page which includes two common indicators – Bollinger bands and moving average lines – and one more interesting and unusual indicator: the phases of the moon. You can modify the chart to look for other indicators by clicking the button which looks like a bar chart with a zig-zag arrow above it.
Does it Work for Bitcoin & Altcoins?
The patterns studied by TA are generally caused by the actions of market participants themselves, rather than any changes to the underlying value of what is being traded (although of course the underlying value changes are ‘priced in’ by the market participants). They represent common psychological traits, the actions of people making decisions based on knowledge which comes into their possession, and so on. As such, these techniques can be applied to most financial markets.
It is generally thought, however, that these techniques do tend to break down in smaller markets with low volume and liquidity.
So it is probably safe to say that if technical analysis works at all, then it should work for Bitcoin. But is also true to say that it will be unreliable for smaller altcoin markets. This is not a hard rule, but a general guide. The most popular altcoins, or coins going through periods of high volume, may prove to be valid exceptions. It is down to the individual trader to make a judgement as to what extent these tools can be trusted for any specific market.
Top Resources for Bitcoin Technical Analysis by Experts
If you are new to this topic then perhaps the best thing that you can do is follow the analysis provided by established experts, both for making more educated investment decisions and for learning how to become a better analyst yourself. You can view some great articles published on news websites in the left hand column of this page, but for more detailed and timely information here are some of the best sources for professional analysts’ opinions on the Bitcoin price:
- XBT Social: For a monthly membership fee this site give you access to a daily analysis by professional traders, email alerts for sudden price movements, exclusive news stories, and access to an ‘exclusive community’ of other traders.
- BullBearAnalytics: A team of professional analysts provide paying members of this site with complete, actionable trade signals for both BTC and altcoins, a daily market update, and a more in-depth weekly report.
- BraveNewCoin Reports: This is a well-known information site which publishes regular reports covering sentiment, fundamental and technical analysis extended across a wide range of altcoin markets as well as BTC.
- TradingView: In addition to providing a range of charting tools you may find useful, TradingView allows its users to share their analysis with others. This is the only source in this section where you an view content for free, but please beware that not all of the authors are professional traders.
Analyst Opinion Summary
The widget you can see below displays the latest opinion of analysts on Investing.com with simple signals of ‘Strong Buy’, ‘Buy’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Sell’ and ‘Strong Sell’. It is automatically set to a 1 minute time Frame which probably won’t be very useful for most traders, but you can change that to display a longer period without leaving the page:
Bitcoin Technical Analysis Software: Charts and Tools
A handy charting tool created by TradingView is provided at the top of this page, and I wholeheartedly recommend you have a play with it if you haven’t already. But of course there are also many other useful charts and tools that you may like to use. Here are some of the best ones:
- Cryptowatch – This site allows you to view price data chart from a range of different exchanges for BTC/USD, BTC/EUR and BTC/CNY. They offer a range of different chart types including Heikin-Ashi, bar, line, mountain or candlestick, and access to a wide range of customizable indicators and overlays. If you create an account you can also connect it to the Bitfinex exchange API and use it as a complete trading platform.
- BTC-E – One of the most popular tools on the traditional financial markets is MetaTrader 4. This exchange allows you to use MT4 for Bitcoin trading.
- Bitcoin Charts – This site has a clean design and is easy to use, and offers a wide range of charts including candlestick, OHLC, closing, median, or typical price, and weighted close. You can view data from pretty much every BTC/fiat exchange with up to four indicators at a time.
- Quandl – If you want to go beyond price and volume data to look at things like the transaction and mining data then this is a great source of information with lots of different charts and the option to export data via API or download as CSV files.
- TradingView – You can see and use the charting tool from TradingView at the top of this page.
- BitcoinChain – An interesting combination of TA charting tools and block explorer for general network stats and transactions, which also pulls order books and latest trades from several top exchanges.
Best Free Sites to Start Learning Technical Analysis
There are loads of great resources available on the internet that you can access for free, to start your journey and learn all about TA. Here is a small selection of the best ones:
- Investopedia: The Basic of Technical Analysis – If you are a complete beginner then this is a great place to start. It will introduce you to the basic principles and terminology that you need to know, as well as some of the most popular chart types and indicators.
- Chart School – This free resource provided by the StockCharts.com website includes a huge amount of information on every aspect of TA.
- InvestTools – There are some really excellent paid courses here, but there are also several free classes which are well worth it for beginners.
- ProBitcoinTrading – Although not specifically related to just TA, this site offers some excellent general trading tips, including a free ebook as well as premium ebooks and consultancy services.