A Complete Guide to Bitcoin Technical Analysis
Latest posts by Dean (see all)
- Ixinium to Announce IEO Launching on December 5th on P2PB2B. - November 25, 2019
- Digital Asset as the Next Stage of Development of Financial Technologies - October 25, 2019
- 5 Advantages of Blockchain for Future CRMs - October 21, 2019
Latest Price News and Analysis
Bitcoin (BTC) Trading Near Make-or-Break Levels
by Aayush Jindal on December 6, 2019 at 6:00 am
Bitcoin price is still trading above the $7,200 and $7,240 support levels against the US Dollar. The price is struggling to climb above the $7,440 and $7,500 resistance levels. There is a major breakout pattern forming with resistance near $7,440 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could... The post Bitcoin (BTC) Trading Near Make-or-Break Levels appeared first on NewsBTC.
Bitcoin & Crypto Market Approaching Crucial Break: LTC, BNB, BCH, TRX...
by Aayush Jindal on December 6, 2019 at 5:30 am
The total crypto market cap is forming a major breakout pattern with resistance near $195.0B. Bitcoin price is slowly rising and it seems like it could climb above the $7,400 resistance. Binance coin (BNB) price is holding the $15.00 support and it is correcting higher. Litecoin (LTC) price is attempting a break above the $45.50... The post Bitcoin & Crypto Market Approaching Crucial Break: LTC, BNB, BCH, TRX Analysis appeared first on NewsBTC.
Ripple (XRP) Price Primed For Further Upsides
by Aayush Jindal on December 6, 2019 at 4:28 am
Ripple price is trading nicely above the $0.2180 pivot area against the US dollar. The price is likely to slowly rise towards the $0.2265 and $0.2300 resistance levels. There is a major bullish trend line forming with support near $0.2180 on the hourly chart of the XRP/USD pair (data source from Kraken). Ethereum is also... The post Ripple (XRP) Price Primed For Further Upsides appeared first on NewsBTC.
Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3%
by Aayush Jindal on December 6, 2019 at 3:08 am
Ethereum is slowly rising and it is trading above the $146 support area against the US Dollar. The price is facing a few strong resistances near $148, $150 and $152. There is a key contracting triangle forming with resistance near $148 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The price could continue... The post Ethereum (ETH) Flirts With Key Resistance, Bitcoin Up 3% appeared first on NewsBTC.
Bitcoin (BTC) Could Rise Again Before Fresh Monthly Low
by Aayush Jindal on December 5, 2019 at 6:00 am
Bitcoin price is back to where it started and trading below the $7,380 resistance against the US Dollar. The price is currently under pressure, but it is likely to hold the $7,100 support area. There is a short term contracting triangle forming with resistance near $7,220 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data... The post Bitcoin (BTC) Could Rise Again Before Fresh Monthly Low appeared first on NewsBTC.
Bitcoin & Crypto Market Turn Red Again: BCH, XLM, EOS, TRX Analysis
by Aayush Jindal on December 5, 2019 at 5:30 am
The total crypto market cap jumped from $188.0B, but it failed to stay above $200.0B. Bitcoin price rally above the $7,500 level was completely reversed. BCH price is somehow holding the key $205 and $200 support levels. EOS price is facing a strong resistance near the $2.700 area. Stellar (XLM) price could continue to move... The post Bitcoin & Crypto Market Turn Red Again: BCH, XLM, EOS, TRX Analysis appeared first on NewsBTC.
Ripple (XRP) Price Could Revisit $0.2000, BTC & ETH Under Pressure
by Aayush Jindal on December 5, 2019 at 4:28 am
Ripple price rallied recently above the $0.2220 resistance, but failed near $0.2265 against the US dollar. The price currently declining and it is approaching the pre-rally level near $0.2100. There is a new bearish trend line forming with resistance near $0.2210 on the hourly chart of the XRP/USD pair (data source from Kraken). Ethereum is... The post Ripple (XRP) Price Could Revisit $0.2000, BTC & ETH Under Pressure appeared first on NewsBTC.
Ethereum (ETH) Rip & Dip Scenario Was Total Disaster
by Aayush Jindal on December 5, 2019 at 3:08 am
Ethereum rallied sharply above the $150 resistance, but failed near $152 against the US Dollar. The price is trimming gains and it is back to pre-rally levels near the $144 support. There is a short term bullish trend line forming with support near $145 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The... The post Ethereum (ETH) Rip & Dip Scenario Was Total Disaster appeared first on NewsBTC.
Litecoin Price (LTC) Technicals Weak, Bitcoin Dragging Market Lower
by Aayush Jindal on December 4, 2019 at 9:00 am
Litecoin declined heavily after it failed to climb above $46.50 and $48.00 against the US Dollar. The price seems to be sliding towards the $42.20 and $40.40 support levels. There is a key declining channel forming with resistance near $45.50 on the hourly chart of the LTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). Bitcoin price is... The post Litecoin Price (LTC) Technicals Weak, Bitcoin Dragging Market Lower appeared first on NewsBTC.
Bitcoin (BTC) Trend Overwhelmingly Negative, Continue Selling?
by Aayush Jindal on December 4, 2019 at 6:00 am
Bitcoin price is slowly declining and it recently broke the $7,200 support area against the US Dollar. The price is currently consolidating above $7,100 and likely to continue lower. Yesterday’s key declining channel is still active with resistance near $7,320 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could... The post Bitcoin (BTC) Trend Overwhelmingly Negative, Continue Selling? appeared first on NewsBTC.
Bitcoin Price Update for October 2, 2019
on December 2, 2019 at 4:58 pm
Below is a recap we did on Bitcoin's performance throughout September 2019. It had its ups and downs and for more details - read all about it in our article!
Altcoin Market Update for October 2, 2019
on December 2, 2019 at 4:57 pm
Our first altcoin market update from October 2019 - here we do a recap of the altcoin performance from our watchlist and discuss where they might head in the near future.
Bitcoin Price Update for September 25, 2019
on November 27, 2019 at 7:47 pm
This is our latest Bitcoin price update from 25tth September 2019 where we take a look at how Bitcoin has been performing in the markets. We also provide our commentary on its state so read more about it here!
Altcoin Market Update for September 25, 2019
on November 27, 2019 at 7:46 pm
In our Altcoin market update, we take a look at what has influenced the altcoins on our watchlist the most in terms of price and market movement, and we analyze where Ether, Monero, Ripple, and others stand at the moment. Take a look!
Altcoin Market Update for September 18, 2019
on November 25, 2019 at 1:57 pm
Our Altcoin market update from 18th September 2019 is up - in it, we take a look at the latest price fluctuations and trends that influenced some of our top altcoin movements.
What is Technical Analysis?
Technical analysis (TA) is a methodology for forecasting future price movements by studying past market data for price and volume, and seeking patterns within that data.
A technical analyst will look for continuing patterns, or trends, which indicate the general direction of price movement. They will also look for repeating patterns, which are used to gauge whether a trend is likely to continue or reverse, and to indicate the point at which a reversal may take place. In addition to visually recognizable patterns, various mathematical models are used to indicate trend reversals or confirm continuing trends. These mathematical ‘indicators’ are often visually represented on charts using an ‘overlay’. Indicators can be used to select entry points for longer term positions determined via fundamental analysis, or for day trading strategies such as swing trading.
Many of these visual and mathematical patterns, which tend to repeat over and over again in various different financial markets, have been identified over the course of centuries. Analysts will seek to identify these patterns forming within current market data in order to find indicators for forecasting, and multiple indicators will usually be combined together to provide buy or sell signals of varying strengths.
A typical chart has been embedded at the top of this page which includes two common indicators – Bollinger bands and moving average lines – and one more interesting and unusual indicator: the phases of the moon. You can modify the chart to look for other indicators by clicking the button which looks like a bar chart with a zig-zag arrow above it.
Does it Work for Bitcoin & Altcoins?
The patterns studied by TA are generally caused by the actions of market participants themselves, rather than any changes to the underlying value of what is being traded (although of course the underlying value changes are ‘priced in’ by the market participants). They represent common psychological traits, the actions of people making decisions based on knowledge which comes into their possession, and so on. As such, these techniques can be applied to most financial markets.
It is generally thought, however, that these techniques do tend to break down in smaller markets with low volume and liquidity.
So it is probably safe to say that if technical analysis works at all, then it should work for Bitcoin. But is also true to say that it will be unreliable for smaller altcoin markets. This is not a hard rule, but a general guide. The most popular altcoins, or coins going through periods of high volume, may prove to be valid exceptions. It is down to the individual trader to make a judgement as to what extent these tools can be trusted for any specific market.
Top Resources for Bitcoin Technical Analysis by Experts
If you are new to this topic then perhaps the best thing that you can do is follow the analysis provided by established experts, both for making more educated investment decisions and for learning how to become a better analyst yourself. You can view some great articles published on news websites in the left hand column of this page, but for more detailed and timely information here are some of the best sources for professional analysts’ opinions on the Bitcoin price:
- XBT Social: For a monthly membership fee this site give you access to a daily analysis by professional traders, email alerts for sudden price movements, exclusive news stories, and access to an ‘exclusive community’ of other traders.
- BullBearAnalytics: A team of professional analysts provide paying members of this site with complete, actionable trade signals for both BTC and altcoins, a daily market update, and a more in-depth weekly report.
- BraveNewCoin Reports: This is a well-known information site which publishes regular reports covering sentiment, fundamental and technical analysis extended across a wide range of altcoin markets as well as BTC.
- TradingView: In addition to providing a range of charting tools you may find useful, TradingView allows its users to share their analysis with others. This is the only source in this section where you an view content for free, but please beware that not all of the authors are professional traders.
Analyst Opinion Summary
The widget you can see below displays the latest opinion of analysts on Investing.com with simple signals of ‘Strong Buy’, ‘Buy’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Sell’ and ‘Strong Sell’. It is automatically set to a 1 minute time Frame which probably won’t be very useful for most traders, but you can change that to display a longer period without leaving the page:
Bitcoin Technical Analysis Software: Charts and Tools
A handy charting tool created by TradingView is provided at the top of this page, and I wholeheartedly recommend you have a play with it if you haven’t already. But of course there are also many other useful charts and tools that you may like to use. Here are some of the best ones:
- Cryptowatch – This site allows you to view price data chart from a range of different exchanges for BTC/USD, BTC/EUR and BTC/CNY. They offer a range of different chart types including Heikin-Ashi, bar, line, mountain or candlestick, and access to a wide range of customizable indicators and overlays. If you create an account you can also connect it to the Bitfinex exchange API and use it as a complete trading platform.
- BTC-E – One of the most popular tools on the traditional financial markets is MetaTrader 4. This exchange allows you to use MT4 for Bitcoin trading.
- Bitcoin Charts – This site has a clean design and is easy to use, and offers a wide range of charts including candlestick, OHLC, closing, median, or typical price, and weighted close. You can view data from pretty much every BTC/fiat exchange with up to four indicators at a time.
- Quandl – If you want to go beyond price and volume data to look at things like the transaction and mining data then this is a great source of information with lots of different charts and the option to export data via API or download as CSV files.
- TradingView – You can see and use the charting tool from TradingView at the top of this page.
- BitcoinChain – An interesting combination of TA charting tools and block explorer for general network stats and transactions, which also pulls order books and latest trades from several top exchanges.
Best Free Sites to Start Learning Technical Analysis
There are loads of great resources available on the internet that you can access for free, to start your journey and learn all about TA. Here is a small selection of the best ones:
- Investopedia: The Basic of Technical Analysis – If you are a complete beginner then this is a great place to start. It will introduce you to the basic principles and terminology that you need to know, as well as some of the most popular chart types and indicators.
- Chart School – This free resource provided by the StockCharts.com website includes a huge amount of information on every aspect of TA.
- InvestTools – There are some really excellent paid courses here, but there are also several free classes which are well worth it for beginners.
- ProBitcoinTrading – Although not specifically related to just TA, this site offers some excellent general trading tips, including a free ebook as well as premium ebooks and consultancy services.