A Complete Guide to Bitcoin Technical Analysis
Warning: md5() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/thefivyh/public_html/cryptorials.io/wp-content/plugins/feedzy-rss-feeds/includes/abstract/feedzy-rss-feeds-admin-abstract.php on line 1133
- How to follow a logical path through selecting the best cloud mining services in 2021? - July 15, 2021
- Staking VS other ways of earning on cryptocurrencies – what makes most sense - June 14, 2021
- Introducing SafeHamsters - May 27, 2021
Latest Price News and Analysis
- TA: Ethereum Prints Bearish Technical Pattern, Why It Could Revisit $2.2Kby Aayush Jindal on January 27, 2022 at 5:48 am
Ethereum failed to surpass $2,725 and started a fresh decline against the US Dollar. ETH price could continue to move down if there is no move above $2,500. Ethereum failed to clear the $2,700 and $2,725 resistance levels. The price is trading below $2,500 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break below a key bullish trend line with support near $2,500 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could start a fresh increase if there is a clear move above […]
- TA: Bitcoin Fails Near Key Zone, Can Bulls Save The Dayby Aayush Jindal on January 27, 2022 at 3:48 am
Bitcoin attempted a key upside break above the $38,500 resistance against the US Dollar. BTC failed to clear $38,500 and started a fresh decline. Bitcoin struggled to gain pace above the $38,200 and $38,500 resistance levels. The price is now trading below $37,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break below a key bullish trend line with support near $37,150 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could start a fresh increase if the bulls […]
- TA: Ethereum Aims Key Upside Break, What Could Stop Recoveryby Aayush Jindal on January 26, 2022 at 6:28 am
Ethereum is recovering losses above $2,400 against the US Dollar. ETH price is rising, but it must clear $2,550 for a steady increase. Ethereum is slowly moving higher towards the $2,500 and $2,550 resistance levels. The price is trading below $2,500 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a move above a major bearish trend line with resistance near $2,500 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could rise steadily if there is a clear move above the $2,550 […]
- TA: Bitcoin Eyes Steady Recovery, Why Bulls Might Struggleby Aayush Jindal on January 26, 2022 at 3:28 am
Bitcoin started a recovery wave above $36,000 against the US Dollar. BTC must settle above the $38,000 zone to start a steady upward move. Bitcoin is trying to clear the $37,500 and $38,000 resistance levels. The price is now trading above $36,500 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key breakout pattern forming with resistance near $37,500 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could start a steady upward move if there is a clear move above […]
- TA: Ethereum Turns Red, What Could Trigger Steady Recoveryby Aayush Jindal on January 25, 2022 at 5:18 am
Ethereum extended decline below the $2,400 support zone against the US Dollar. ETH price is recovering, but it must clear $2,550 for a steady upward move. Ethereum extended decline below the $2,500 and $2,400 support levels. The price is trading below $2,500 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key bearish trend line forming with resistance near $2,450 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could extend losses if it fails to recover above $2,500 and […]
- TA: Bitcoin Starts Recovery, Why $38K Is The Key For Reversalby Aayush Jindal on January 25, 2022 at 3:18 am
Bitcoin extended decline below $34,000 against the US Dollar. BTC is recovering, but it must clear $38,000 for a steady upward move. Bitcoin remained in a bearish zone below the $38,000 and $36,500 support levels. The price is now trading near $36,500 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There was a break above a major bearish trend line with resistance near $35,450 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could start a major increase if there is a clear […]
- Has Bitcoin Reached Its Bottom? Analyst Says It Still Has A Long Way To Goby Best Owie on January 24, 2022 at 11:00 pm
Bitcoin has had a rollercoaster of a month in January. The digital asset which enjoyed much success in 2021 has walked into 2022 with bloody feet. Since then, it has managed to crumble more than 50% of its $69K all-time high. As nerves run high, investors scramble to make sense of when the onslaught will cease. As bitcoin is yet to see any significant support below the $40,000 level, analyst says the worst may be yet to come. Bitcoin Has Lost Critical Support Level Pseudonymous analyst Dave the […]
- TA: Bitcoin Turns Bearish, Bears In Control Below $40Kby Aayush Jindal on January 24, 2022 at 3:51 am
Bitcoin started a strong decline below the $40,000 support against the US Dollar. BTC might recover, but upsides might be limited above $38,000. Bitcoin started a major decline below the $40,000 and $38,000 support levels. The price is now trading below $38,000 and the 100 hourly simple moving average. There is a key bearish trend line with resistance near $36,500 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could continue to move down if there is a break below the […]
- Connect With Your Audience: Integrate Social Media With Your WordPress.com...by Tanya Thibodeau on January 21, 2022 at 10:09 pm
Integrating your social media presence with your website is essential to finding and growing your audience. WordPress.com offers many options and tools that can help you optimize your website and social platforms.
- Bitcoin Breaks $37,000, Why Downtrend To $29,000 Is Likelyby Best Owie on January 21, 2022 at 5:00 pm
Bitcoin has now broken down past $38,000 for the first time in over four months. This is a crucial point for the digital asset given that it has successfully maintained its position above this level throughout all of the crashes and dips of the previous month. While most would like to think that this is only a temporary setback that will soon be resolved, analyst Nicholas Merten has warned investors to brace for even more volatility. Prepare For Further Downside In a recent video on his YouTube […]
- $200 Billion Exits The Market As Bitcoin Plummets To A Multi-Month Lowby anushsamal on January 21, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Bitcoin, the top asset in the industry has noted a sharp fall in prices over the last 24 hours. At press time, the king-coin depreciated by almost over 9.7%. Bitcoin dropped its value by almost $7,000 and was exchanging hands at $38,233.95. This marked an almost six-month low for the coin. This price level is the lowest ever since the first week of August last year. Following Bitcoin’s price action, altcoins followed suit as a majority of them were seen trading in the red at the time of […]
- Get Early Access to Full Site Editing!by Donna Cavalier on January 17, 2022 at 9:05 pm
A big change is coming to WordPress to make it easier than ever to create websites called Full-Site Editing. You can be one of the first to try it exclusively on WordPress.com, before it gets merged into core open source WordPress with the upcoming release of WordPress version 5.9. What …
- Get Started with new webinarsby Carla Doria on January 7, 2022 at 4:00 pm
Launching a website or learning how to monetize your online store can be overwhelming. But we are here to help you along the way. We are hosting free webinars to help get you on track and answer any questions you have. We cover different topics and will soon have new …
- WP Courses Helps Launch Creators Into The New Year!by Mike Bal on December 28, 2021 at 4:00 am
As we approach the new year, we like to encourage our team, our friends, and our customers to look back and celebrate all we were able to accomplish. While this year has had its challenges, we kept creating, connecting, and growing. We launched WP Courses almost exactly a year ago …
- New Year, New Success with Bloganuaryby Mindy Postoff on December 16, 2021 at 3:00 pm
In a few short days, you’ll surely be asked: What are your New Year’s resolutions for 2022? If starting a blogging habit is one of them, we’re here to help! At WordPress.com, we’re trying something new for 2022. Instead of individual New Year’s resolutions, we’ll be focusing on a shared …
What is Technical Analysis?
Technical analysis (TA) is a methodology for forecasting future price movements by studying past market data for price and volume, and seeking patterns within that data.
A technical analyst will look for continuing patterns, or trends, which indicate the general direction of price movement. They will also look for repeating patterns, which are used to gauge whether a trend is likely to continue or reverse, and to indicate the point at which a reversal may take place. In addition to visually recognizable patterns, various mathematical models are used to indicate trend reversals or confirm continuing trends. These mathematical ‘indicators’ are often visually represented on charts using an ‘overlay’. Indicators can be used to select entry points for longer term positions determined via fundamental analysis, or for day trading strategies such as swing trading.
Many of these visual and mathematical patterns, which tend to repeat over and over again in various different financial markets, have been identified over the course of centuries. Analysts will seek to identify these patterns forming within current market data in order to find indicators for forecasting, and multiple indicators will usually be combined together to provide buy or sell signals of varying strengths.
A typical chart has been embedded at the top of this page which includes two common indicators – Bollinger bands and moving average lines – and one more interesting and unusual indicator: the phases of the moon. You can modify the chart to look for other indicators by clicking the button which looks like a bar chart with a zig-zag arrow above it.
Does it Work for Bitcoin & Altcoins?
The patterns studied by TA are generally caused by the actions of market participants themselves, rather than any changes to the underlying value of what is being traded (although of course the underlying value changes are ‘priced in’ by the market participants). They represent common psychological traits, the actions of people making decisions based on knowledge which comes into their possession, and so on. As such, these techniques can be applied to most financial markets.
It is generally thought, however, that these techniques do tend to break down in smaller markets with low volume and liquidity.
So it is probably safe to say that if technical analysis works at all, then it should work for Bitcoin. But is also true to say that it will be unreliable for smaller altcoin markets. This is not a hard rule, but a general guide. The most popular altcoins, or coins going through periods of high volume, may prove to be valid exceptions. It is down to the individual trader to make a judgement as to what extent these tools can be trusted for any specific market.
Top Resources for Bitcoin Technical Analysis by Experts
If you are new to this topic then perhaps the best thing that you can do is follow the analysis provided by established experts, both for making more educated investment decisions and for learning how to become a better analyst yourself. You can view some great articles published on news websites in the left hand column of this page, but for more detailed and timely information here are some of the best sources for professional analysts’ opinions on the Bitcoin price:
- XBT Social: For a monthly membership fee this site give you access to a daily analysis by professional traders, email alerts for sudden price movements, exclusive news stories, and access to an ‘exclusive community’ of other traders.
- BullBearAnalytics: A team of professional analysts provide paying members of this site with complete, actionable trade signals for both BTC and altcoins, a daily market update, and a more in-depth weekly report.
- BraveNewCoin Reports: This is a well-known information site which publishes regular reports covering sentiment, fundamental and technical analysis extended across a wide range of altcoin markets as well as BTC.
- TradingView: In addition to providing a range of charting tools you may find useful, TradingView allows its users to share their analysis with others. This is the only source in this section where you an view content for free, but please beware that not all of the authors are professional traders.
Analyst Opinion Summary
The widget you can see below displays the latest opinion of analysts on Investing.com with simple signals of ‘Strong Buy’, ‘Buy’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Sell’ and ‘Strong Sell’. It is automatically set to a 1 minute time Frame which probably won’t be very useful for most traders, but you can change that to display a longer period without leaving the page:
Bitcoin Technical Analysis Software: Charts and Tools
A handy charting tool created by TradingView is provided at the top of this page, and I wholeheartedly recommend you have a play with it if you haven’t already. But of course there are also many other useful charts and tools that you may like to use. Here are some of the best ones:
- Cryptowatch – This site allows you to view price data chart from a range of different exchanges for BTC/USD, BTC/EUR and BTC/CNY. They offer a range of different chart types including Heikin-Ashi, bar, line, mountain or candlestick, and access to a wide range of customizable indicators and overlays. If you create an account you can also connect it to the Bitfinex exchange API and use it as a complete trading platform.
- BTC-E – One of the most popular tools on the traditional financial markets is MetaTrader 4. This exchange allows you to use MT4 for Bitcoin trading.
- Bitcoin Charts – This site has a clean design and is easy to use, and offers a wide range of charts including candlestick, OHLC, closing, median, or typical price, and weighted close. You can view data from pretty much every BTC/fiat exchange with up to four indicators at a time.
- Quandl – If you want to go beyond price and volume data to look at things like the transaction and mining data then this is a great source of information with lots of different charts and the option to export data via API or download as CSV files.
- TradingView – You can see and use the charting tool from TradingView at the top of this page.
- BitcoinChain – An interesting combination of TA charting tools and block explorer for general network stats and transactions, which also pulls order books and latest trades from several top exchanges.
Best Free Sites to Start Learning Technical Analysis
There are loads of great resources available on the internet that you can access for free, to start your journey and learn all about TA. Here is a small selection of the best ones:
- Investopedia: The Basic of Technical Analysis – If you are a complete beginner then this is a great place to start. It will introduce you to the basic principles and terminology that you need to know, as well as some of the most popular chart types and indicators.
- Chart School – This free resource provided by the StockCharts.com website includes a huge amount of information on every aspect of TA.
- InvestTools – There are some really excellent paid courses here, but there are also several free classes which are well worth it for beginners.
- ProBitcoinTrading – Although not specifically related to just TA, this site offers some excellent general trading tips, including a free ebook as well as premium ebooks and consultancy services.