A Complete Guide to Bitcoin Technical Analysis
Warning: md5() expects parameter 1 to be string, array given in /home/thefivyh/public_html/cryptorials.io/wp-content/plugins/feedzy-rss-feeds/includes/abstract/feedzy-rss-feeds-admin-abstract.php on line 1133
- How to follow a logical path through selecting the best cloud mining services in 2021? - July 15, 2021
- Staking VS other ways of earning on cryptocurrencies – what makes most sense - June 14, 2021
- Introducing SafeHamsters - May 27, 2021
Latest Price News and Analysis
- Crypto CEO Very Bullish On XRP Price, Sets Make Or Break Pointby Scott Matherson on September 30, 2023 at 3:00 pm
Following its victory against the US Securities and Exchange Commission, the XRP price has been displaying bullish sentiments, effectively gaining the attention of long-term investors seeking to buy and hold to gain more profits. In light of this, a crypto CEO has disclosed his insights on XRP’s bullish outlook, acknowledging the prospects of a bull run in the future. Crypto CEO Concedes Possible XRP Bull Run The market sentiment surrounding Ripple Labs’ native token, XRP has taken a […]
- LINK Price Primed For Meteoric Rise: Analyst Predicts 130% Rally To $18by Best Owie on September 29, 2023 at 11:00 pm
The LINK price is no stranger to bullish rallies, and in September alone, the token has gone from a low of $5.8 to a peak of $7.9. Even now, bullish momentum among enthusiasts has not waned, especially with a 130% price increase prediction from a crypto analyst. LINK Price Prediction Ahead Of October In the analysis posted to TradingView, pseudonymous analyst Babenski explains the reasoning behind the $18 surge presented in their chart. First, it points to the $5.8 low that was recorded back in […]
- MATIC Price Downtrend Halted As Google Cloud Joins Polygon Networkby Ronaldo Marquez on September 29, 2023 at 7:30 pm
Google Cloud, the renowned cloud computing service provided by Google, has made a significant move by becoming a validator on the Polygon (MATIC) network. This collaboration aims to bolster the security of the Polygon Proof-of-Stake (PoS) network, with Google Cloud employing its infrastructure, which powers popular platforms like YouTube and Gmail, to contribute to the network’s integrity. Google Cloud Strengthens Polygon Network Security Polygon Labs, the team behind the Polygon protocol, […]
- Even More New WordPress.com Themes for September 2023by Jeremy Anderberg on September 29, 2023 at 6:48 pm
Our themes team is on fire. Here is our latest batch of designs for bloggers and visual artists.
- MATIC Price Rally Threatened As Whales Deposit Millions Of Tokens To...by Scott Matherson on September 29, 2023 at 4:00 pm
Bitcoin has recovered over the last day after gaining momentum from the Valkyrie Ethereum ETF news and pulling up the likes of the MATIC price. This has led to a rare green day for the cryptocurrency market in as many months but MATIC may not be able to hold as well as other altcoins as whales make their move. Whales Move Tens Of Millions To Exchanges The first notable whale transaction involving MATIC was flagged by Lookonchain on Wednesday. The transaction was carrying 10.78 million tokens at […]
- MakerDAO Secures $6 Billion For Treasury Bill Investments As MKR Dominates...by Ronaldo Marquez on September 29, 2023 at 3:00 pm
According to a Bloomberg report, MakerDAO, one of the prominent decentralized lenders in cryptocurrency, has reaffirmed its decision to invest billions of dollars in US government bonds. This strategic move has propelled its governance coin, MKR, to reach its highest level since April 2022, outperforming other major cryptocurrencies, including Bitcoin (BTC). MKR has experienced a remarkable surge of 77% this quarter, emerging as the best-performing cryptocurrency of the year. Despite a modest […]
- Important Events That Could Have A Massive Impact On XRP Priceby Scott Matherson on September 29, 2023 at 1:00 pm
Despite some analysts noting why XRP is unlikely to end on a high, certain macro (and micro) factors could significantly impact the token’s price and possibly see it enjoy the same trajectory it did following Judge Analisa Torres’ ruling in favor of Ripple. SEC-Related Factors Could Impact XRP Price On August 17, the US Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) was given approval by Judge Analisa Torres to file its motion seeking an interlocutory appeal against her ruling at the Court of […]
- Tron Price Prediction: TRX Bulls Keeps Pushing, Why Rally Isn’t Over Yetby Aayush Jindal on September 29, 2023 at 5:19 am
Tron price is gaining pace above $0.0850 against the US Dollar. TRX is outperforming Bitcoin and could rise further toward $0.092. Tron is moving higher above the $0.0850 resistance level against the US dollar. The price is trading above $0.0862 and the 100 simple moving average (4 hours). There is a major bullish trend line forming with support near $0.0855 on the 4-hour chart of the TRX/USD pair (data source from Kraken). The pair could continue to climb higher toward $0.092 or even $0.095. […]
- Ethereum Price Registers Breakout But Lacks Momentum, $1,620 Is The Keyby Aayush Jindal on September 29, 2023 at 4:29 am
Ethereum price is attempting a fresh increase above $1,650 against the US Dollar. ETH could accelerate higher if it clears the $1,670 resistance. Ethereum is attempting a fresh increase above the $1,620 level. The price is trading above $1,620 and the 100-hourly Simple Moving Average. There is a key bullish trend line forming with support near $1,645 on the hourly chart of ETH/USD (data feed via Kraken). The pair could continue to rise if it clears the $1,670 resistance zone. Ethereum Price […]
- Bitcoin Price Breaks Higher, Is the Rally Just Getting Started?by Aayush Jindal on September 29, 2023 at 3:42 am
Bitcoin price is gaining pace above the $26,700 resistance. BTC is consolidating above $26,800 and might continue to rise above the $27,200 resistance. Bitcoin gained pace above the $26,500 and $26,700 resistance levels. The price is trading above $26,700 and the 100 hourly Simple moving average. There is a key bullish trend line forming with support near $26,800 on the hourly chart of the BTC/USD pair (data feed from Kraken). The pair could accelerate higher above the $27,200 resistance zone. […]
- What Is Behind The 16% PEPE Price Recovery And Will It Continue?by Best Owie on September 28, 2023 at 11:00 pm
Over the last week, the PEPE price has emerged as one of the best performers in the crypto market. This followed a long period of drawdown that dragged the meme coin’s price almost 90% below its June 2023 all-time high. This prolonged bear period coupled with its declining momentum is why the price reversal has caught the market by surprise. Social Discussions Around PEPE Rise To figure out why the PEPE price has been on a rally at a time when the broader crypto market has suffered declines, […]
- Influence the Future of WordPress by Taking the 2023 Annual Survey Todayby Jeremy Anderberg on September 27, 2023 at 6:13 pm
Take the 2023 WordPress survey to provide valuable input for the project's future.
- Tell the Story You Want to Tellby Jeremy Anderberg on September 21, 2023 at 3:13 pm
In August, the WordPress community gathered at National Harbor, Maryland for WordCamp 2023. Every year, the conference hosts special speakers to talk about all kinds of things—from the technical to the inspirational. One of our favorite talks this year was from sci-fi and fantasy author Ken Liu, in which he …
- How Art Catalyzes Change—Join Us for a Livestream Event on September 20by Automattic on September 18, 2023 at 3:00 pm
A unique discussion on the compelling intersections of art, climate change, and social innovation.
- Hot Off the Press: New WordPress.com Themes for September 2023by Jeremy Anderberg on September 14, 2023 at 4:44 pm
A bold selection of new themes for bloggers and creators featuring a diverse range of styles and uses.
What is Technical Analysis?
Technical analysis (TA) is a methodology for forecasting future price movements by studying past market data for price and volume, and seeking patterns within that data.
A technical analyst will look for continuing patterns, or trends, which indicate the general direction of price movement. They will also look for repeating patterns, which are used to gauge whether a trend is likely to continue or reverse, and to indicate the point at which a reversal may take place. In addition to visually recognizable patterns, various mathematical models are used to indicate trend reversals or confirm continuing trends. These mathematical ‘indicators’ are often visually represented on charts using an ‘overlay’. Indicators can be used to select entry points for longer term positions determined via fundamental analysis, or for day trading strategies such as swing trading.
Many of these visual and mathematical patterns, which tend to repeat over and over again in various different financial markets, have been identified over the course of centuries. Analysts will seek to identify these patterns forming within current market data in order to find indicators for forecasting, and multiple indicators will usually be combined together to provide buy or sell signals of varying strengths.
A typical chart has been embedded at the top of this page which includes two common indicators – Bollinger bands and moving average lines – and one more interesting and unusual indicator: the phases of the moon. You can modify the chart to look for other indicators by clicking the button which looks like a bar chart with a zig-zag arrow above it.
Does it Work for Bitcoin & Altcoins?
The patterns studied by TA are generally caused by the actions of market participants themselves, rather than any changes to the underlying value of what is being traded (although of course the underlying value changes are ‘priced in’ by the market participants). They represent common psychological traits, the actions of people making decisions based on knowledge which comes into their possession, and so on. As such, these techniques can be applied to most financial markets.
It is generally thought, however, that these techniques do tend to break down in smaller markets with low volume and liquidity.
So it is probably safe to say that if technical analysis works at all, then it should work for Bitcoin. But is also true to say that it will be unreliable for smaller altcoin markets. This is not a hard rule, but a general guide. The most popular altcoins, or coins going through periods of high volume, may prove to be valid exceptions. It is down to the individual trader to make a judgement as to what extent these tools can be trusted for any specific market.
Top Resources for Bitcoin Technical Analysis by Experts
If you are new to this topic then perhaps the best thing that you can do is follow the analysis provided by established experts, both for making more educated investment decisions and for learning how to become a better analyst yourself. You can view some great articles published on news websites in the left hand column of this page, but for more detailed and timely information here are some of the best sources for professional analysts’ opinions on the Bitcoin price:
- XBT Social: For a monthly membership fee this site give you access to a daily analysis by professional traders, email alerts for sudden price movements, exclusive news stories, and access to an ‘exclusive community’ of other traders.
- BullBearAnalytics: A team of professional analysts provide paying members of this site with complete, actionable trade signals for both BTC and altcoins, a daily market update, and a more in-depth weekly report.
- BraveNewCoin Reports: This is a well-known information site which publishes regular reports covering sentiment, fundamental and technical analysis extended across a wide range of altcoin markets as well as BTC.
- TradingView: In addition to providing a range of charting tools you may find useful, TradingView allows its users to share their analysis with others. This is the only source in this section where you an view content for free, but please beware that not all of the authors are professional traders.
Analyst Opinion Summary
The widget you can see below displays the latest opinion of analysts on Investing.com with simple signals of ‘Strong Buy’, ‘Buy’, ‘Neutral’, ‘Sell’ and ‘Strong Sell’. It is automatically set to a 1 minute time Frame which probably won’t be very useful for most traders, but you can change that to display a longer period without leaving the page:
Bitcoin Technical Analysis Software: Charts and Tools
A handy charting tool created by TradingView is provided at the top of this page, and I wholeheartedly recommend you have a play with it if you haven’t already. But of course there are also many other useful charts and tools that you may like to use. Here are some of the best ones:
- Cryptowatch – This site allows you to view price data chart from a range of different exchanges for BTC/USD, BTC/EUR and BTC/CNY. They offer a range of different chart types including Heikin-Ashi, bar, line, mountain or candlestick, and access to a wide range of customizable indicators and overlays. If you create an account you can also connect it to the Bitfinex exchange API and use it as a complete trading platform.
- BTC-E – One of the most popular tools on the traditional financial markets is MetaTrader 4. This exchange allows you to use MT4 for Bitcoin trading.
- Bitcoin Charts – This site has a clean design and is easy to use, and offers a wide range of charts including candlestick, OHLC, closing, median, or typical price, and weighted close. You can view data from pretty much every BTC/fiat exchange with up to four indicators at a time.
- Quandl – If you want to go beyond price and volume data to look at things like the transaction and mining data then this is a great source of information with lots of different charts and the option to export data via API or download as CSV files.
- TradingView – You can see and use the charting tool from TradingView at the top of this page.
- BitcoinChain – An interesting combination of TA charting tools and block explorer for general network stats and transactions, which also pulls order books and latest trades from several top exchanges.
Best Free Sites to Start Learning Technical Analysis
There are loads of great resources available on the internet that you can access for free, to start your journey and learn all about TA. Here is a small selection of the best ones:
- Investopedia: The Basic of Technical Analysis – If you are a complete beginner then this is a great place to start. It will introduce you to the basic principles and terminology that you need to know, as well as some of the most popular chart types and indicators.
- Chart School – This free resource provided by the StockCharts.com website includes a huge amount of information on every aspect of TA.
- InvestTools – There are some really excellent paid courses here, but there are also several free classes which are well worth it for beginners.
- ProBitcoinTrading – Although not specifically related to just TA, this site offers some excellent general trading tips, including a free ebook as well as premium ebooks and consultancy services.